Saturday, January 12, 2013

Kindle Cover - Upcycled Novel

Just an ordinary book? ;-)
A few disclaimers before I begin this one: I cannot take credit for this idea: it's been done to death on Etsy and Youtube. But I did make some changes to suit the materials I had on hand! Second, yes, I get this isn't exactly papercrafting, but I reckoned you guys may be interested in a new craft project!

Now why in the world? 

Yes! My lovely BFF got me a kindle as a birthday gift but I found the cover options available here too plain to be anything Diana Chai would be seen with. Ordering a cute cover online will take about 2-3 weeks so what's a girl to do til then? Well, turn to YouTube

You'll find a myriad of ideas on Kindle covers so I thought, why not? A simple cover to tide me over til I can afford a fancy-pants one. 

What will you need?

Well, a Kindle of course! (hehe...)
- a hardcover book about the size of your Kindle.
- scrap fabric in your chosen colour/design
- foam (any kind! I used packing material foam that came in my Project Life binder!)
- strong adhesive
- elastic cords
- sewing kit
- optional: embellishments and washi tape

How to?

1. Cut out the pages neatly from the hardcover. This is usually quite simple when you've got one that's been sewn instead of glued to the cover.

2) Cut the foam into two identical pieces to fit at the front and the back cover. Here's where I messed up: make sure the foam is thin enough to enable your book to close once your Kindle is in it. Do test it before gluing everything down! Then cover both pieces with fabric. You can glue the back or tape it. It doesn't matter as long as it's secure. I tried to be clever and used decoupage gel (like Modge Podge) to adhere it and it was just messy and pointless. 

3) Sew the elastic at the four corners of one square. This is to hold your Kindle in place. Do test the size as you don't want your device too snug. 

4) Glue both pieces of fabric covered foam down onto the front and back cover.

5) Optional: I used washi tape on the spine both inside and out because I had somewhat mucked it up when I was cutting out the pages. I also made an elastic hold-all band with a felt flower. This was more to hold the book shut as I had, as mentioned before, used foam that was too thick.

Its great if you get it right. You won't have to buy an expensive cover only to find everyone else having the same. For me, it's merely temporary since I've not quite got it right. Good Luck!

The colours are gaudy but it's the only fabric I had on hand! :-S
all snugly
A Kindle Sandwich
     
The cute flower hides my ugly stitching on the elastic

    

No comments:

Post a Comment